Monday, March 1, 2010

Left Turns

Today I spent most of my Sunday at a friends house, eating food, watching a movie, playing guitar, and just talking.

I really love her family. Very genuine people.

Among our list of discussion topics was...me. We talked about my music, we talked about my aspirations, and we talked about my past. For me, the entire process was very eye opening; I learned a lot about myself by scrolling through my life map with no intent to make any real observations.

Among the things that I learned is I (and all of us) make poor decisions (sort of).

At age 16, at the beginning of my Junior year of high school, I decided it was time to graduate. I worked my butt off, and did what I needed to do to graduate a year early.

My list of reasons was relatively short, but well substantiated. 1) I wanted to be able to hang out with friends I knew wouldn't be drinking on the weekends. 2) I wanted to be in school with my older brother and sister. 3) I wanted change.

I am a very antsy person. I think I have Life A.D.D. My family has always moved, so I've just gotten used to a slightly sporadic lifestyle.

While discussing this with my friend and her family (mom mainly), I realized sometimes I make decisions for all the wrong reasons.

Sometimes though, those decisions end up being what's best for me.

Here at school, I've matured in so many ways I never could have dreamed about in high school; and that's the REAL reason why I needed to be here. Not to get away from friend drama or to be closer to others or just for a change.

My point? Sometimes the best way to get where you need to go isn't exactly the way you thought you might go.

Sometimes, you need to make some 'overlooked' lefts to go 'unassumingly' right.


No comments:

Post a Comment