Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Recycled

I got a call today from my mom. I was in class, so i had to silence it and keep my focus (eh).

At 2:19, I called my voicemail. As I walked through the cold rain, I learned that my Aunt, Judy, of Columbus Ohio, had passed away an hour earlier. I could hear my mom choking back tears as she told me she loved me, and how she would wait to tell my brother and sister.

I held back tears as she struggled to tell me the good news. She had finished rolling my change. The total came to somewhere around $90. I quickly responded, remembered it was a recording, then hung up the phone.

It's funny how things come, and how they go just as soon as they'd arrived. My aunt was a beautiful woman, whose life ended years before any of us expected.

I sat thinking about my mom, sitting alone in our house, rolling change to pass the time, to keep her thoughts occupied. I sat and cried. I love my mother. I love her.

Now, from my wet cheeks, I can force a smile. I never cried for my aunt. A time not long, Judy, till we meet again. I cry for my mom. She meant lots to her.

When bigger things enter into our lives, sometimes it is nice to just pause. Sometimes we need to just sit, and roll some change. Life cycles, and recycles, and really we are all just rolling change to pass the time from on place to another.

I time not long, Judy. Mom, I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment